Sunday, April 17, 2016

Communications Committee: First Year Reflections

Yixuan and Sarah are both current communications committee members and joined BWIB during their first semesters at Cal in fall 2015.


Sarah:
I attended BWIB’s first general meeting after seeing the event on Facebook, and immediately felt compelled to join. I was impressed by the welcoming, intelligent, and knowledgeable women on the executive board and knew that BWIB would be a good place to cultivate my interest in business in an informal, student­ run setting. Although my parents work in real estate and sales, I had little to no knowledge about the finance, marketing, entrepreneurial, and consulting industries coming into college; BWIB’s panels, discussions with Haas professors, and networking opportunities have solidified my goals and career plans and I am now ending my first year as an intended business administration and media studies double major. I have always had a passion for social media and being a part of the communications committee has allowed me to work with a variety of platforms—Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn—to advertise BWIB and to work on independent projects, mostly focused on female empowerment. My favorite assignment this year was creating a LinkedIn recommendations project for BWIB’s committee members under the supervision of my VP, Srushti Vora. The project matches a committee member with one of their peers and they each receive short recommendations and skill endorsements posted to their LinkedIn profiles. Even though my time at Berkeley hasn’t even hit the one year mark, BWIB has become my second family. From sharing a late night dinner of deep dish pizza with my committee to meeting some of my best friends in college, this club has shaped my life in ways I am still yet to discover. It is amazing to think that I was once a timid first semester student with no formal resume and not a clue what I wanted to pursue. With the help of BWIB’s positive and ever­ supportive atmosphere, I feel confident I can go in the direction of my dreams and even reshape the business world into a place where strong­ willed women take the lead.

Yixuan:
Every college freshmen has been there, coming into college and not knowing what extracurriculars to join. It can definitely be overwhelming, confusing, and at times terrifying. Yet becoming a part of Berkeley Women in Business has allowed me to meet a group of inspiring young women that are passionate for a similar purpose: spreading awareness on women empowerment throughout campus and beyond. BWIB has challenged me to network with professionals from companies such as Wells Fargo, Goldman Sachs, and various other companies and alumni. As a member of the Communications Committee for the past year, I gained valuable skills on ways to create a successful online identity for the club. By creating Facebook campaigns, editing YouTube videos, and updating BWIB’s Instagram account, the constant feedback is beyond rewarding. Besides taking on the role of a committee member, BWIB has become my support system outside of the rigorous academics here at Cal. All the execs are so positive and motivating in every aspect possible. From editing resumes to offering me a special soup delivery while I was sick, my VP was there for me every step of the way. BWIB has helped me find my comfort zone as a freshman, and encouraged me to take on opportunities that I would have never once had the confidence to say yes to. BWIB has helped me bring out the best version of myself and discover a passion in the field of communications, and for that, I am forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment