Sunday, May 1, 2016

Community Development: Experiences Worth Sharing

Erina:
Despite the constant amount of work that we have to put into classes and schoolwork, I have found that being a part of the Community Development Committee this semester has been nothing but fun. Learning to work as a team to provide the club with fun events, such as the St. Patrick’s Day Social, has been an awesome experience. I learned to be flexible enough to work around potential problems that could arise, in addition to finding ways to ensure that all members feel like they have a home. Although we didn’t know each other all too well at the beginning of the semester, we have come to hang out outside of BWIB meetings, eating CREAM or getting dinner when we’re all free! I feel that the lessons we learned from BWIB meetings have translated in our work ethic and everyday lives, not just towards tasks in the business world. I hope to apply what I have learned in the future to get the ideal job or internship! As a woman who eventually wants to work fluidly between Japan and America, this club has helped me pay more attention to the struggles that women face in the working world. I hope to help change the Japanese business system in the future so that women do not have to be hindered by the “glass ceiling.” A special shout out to Sam Lee and Lucy Huang for being such awesome VPs this year!! :)

Salma:
I still can’t wrap my head around the fact that my first year at Cal is coming to an end. It feels like just yesterday when I came across the BWIB table at Calapalooza looking very lost and completely out of place. It’s strange to think that the place that I associated with uncertainty and unease has become my home in such a short period of time. The reason why I decided to join BWIB in the first place as opposed to any other business club from the masses available (If you’re a Cal student you’ll know what I mean by this), stems largely from my past and where I was brought up. Being raised in a strictly patriarchal society where women have minimal rights and freedoms has instilled within me a drive to push in changing societal norms and gender biases, and I hoped to achieve this by joining a club that raises awareness on issues women face in the workplace, and is home to such a wonderful group of young ladies! I spent both semesters in BWIB on the community development committee under Samantha Lee (shout out to you Sam!), and not only did I create valuable and strong relationships with my committee members, but  also acquired various valuable skills from planning events such as the annual retreat to the St. Patty’s day social, that will benefit me in my future career. This club is composed of such strong and influential women who have taught me a great deal about fighting for what I care about, and who I want to be as a person. I’m so grateful for the impact BWIB has had on my life, and in my adjustment to Cal, and I look forward to being part of it next semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment